Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Japanese Lady wallhanging - design process
This was the first wallhanging I made after taking a class with Pam Holland in 2005. It was one of those projects that started with a bang and then went on the shelf for a long time. I finally finished it in 2008.
These vases were given to me by my Granny and I love them. As you can see, I've taken the middle figure and simplified the design. I couldn't figure out what she was sitting on so I changed it to a rock. Kinda wish I had thought about that a bit more but there you go!
The wisteria was done using Pam's drapplique method, fine Pigma pen for the outline and then coloured in using fabric pens.
I quilted grass on the grassy bit as the fabric was a bit flat in colour. Also, once I had finished, I decided that her kimono needed a bit of decoration. I thought about it for weeks. I wanted to do something more Art Nouveau than Japanese. I could have researched it but this came out of my head instead. Quilted in gold metallic thread from the back so the thread was in the bobbin.
I can't remember what this says. This is one where I did do the research so it does say something. This is why I want to start documenting my quilts!
Some more bobbin work in the border. I like the idea of adding a bit of texture, even if you can hardly see it. I'm talking about the red wool in the red and black border, just in case you missed it.
Don't you just love the back of quilts! Or is that just me!!
And the finished quilt again.