|Left to right: Jamie, Becky and Josh|
This is how the painting looked before quilting. I've printed out the photo with quite a light grey but it was enough to put all the detail into the faces. I really thinned down the paint with a lot of Aloe Vera gel to keep it transparent so that the detail showed through and then I've gone over areas that are shaded with a second coat of paint. No skill involved!
I wanted to leave the faces unquilted and I was going to leave the background unquilted too but by the time I did the border, the background was puffing up too much. I've quilted small leaves at the bottom since I had painted small oak-like leaves on the left side but then I made them bigger at the top, just enough to control the puff. It helped make the background recede so I think it was a lucky improvement.
The back, showing the quilting.